Select a location below to view your topic:
Silver Pen Basics
- The Silver Pen Writing Competition started in 2012 as a way to bridge the communication gap between high school seniors and our members.
- Each community chooses an essay topic this year’s competition. Topics will not be released until the day Silver Pen is released to schools.
- Members at each community will select three winners.
- Winners will receive their awards at a special Silver Pen Ceremony. (pending due to COVID)
TimelineSubmissions Start: Nov 7, 2022
Applications Due: Feb 10, 2023
Winners Announced: March 23, 2023
Awards1st Place – $2,500
2nd Place – $750
3rd Place – $500
Am I Eligible?
Silver Pen is open to:
- All high school seniors who live or attend school within 25 miles of the community they are applying to
- Community employees and children of employees
- Residents limited families – grand (great grand) children, nieces and nephews (grand nieces and nephews)
- Essay must be the applicant’s original work
- Applicants may only enter one time. If you enter at more than one site you will be disqualified.
- Essays must be a minimum of 1000 words and DOUBLE SPACED. (Please include a cover page and any necessary citations on a works cited page)
- Quotations may be used sparingly and sources must be clearly identified
- It is recommended that a teacher or professor reviews essay before submission
Frequently Asked Questions
Stats at a Glance
Total scholarship money awarded since 2012
Total Scholarships Winners
Winners selected last year
Average applications per community
Scholarship money awarded per community
Total applications received in 2020
Apply NowApplications Due: Feb 10, 2023