Select a location below to view your topic:
Silver Pen Basics
- The Silver Pen Writing Competition started in 2012 as a way to bridge the communication gap between high school seniors and our members.
- Each community chooses an essay topic this year’s competition. Topics will not be released until the day Silver Pen is released to schools.
- Members at each community will select three winners.
- Winners will receive their awards at a special Silver Pen Ceremony. (pending due to COVID)
TimelineSubmissions Start: Nov 17, 2023
Applications Due: Feb 15, 2024
Winners Announced: March 15, 2024
Awards1st Place – $2,500
2nd Place – $750
3rd Place – $500
Am I Eligible?
Silver Pen is open to:
- All high school seniors who live or attend school within 25 miles of the community they are applying to
- Community employees and children of employees
- Residents limited families – grand (great grand) children, nieces and nephews (grand nieces and nephews)
- Essay must be the applicant’s original work
- Applicants may only enter one time. If you enter at more than one site you will be disqualified.
- Essays must be a minimum of 1000 words and DOUBLE SPACED. (Please include a cover page and any necessary citations on a works cited page)
- Quotations may be used sparingly and sources must be clearly identified
- It is recommended that a teacher or professor reviews essay before submission
Frequently Asked Questions
Stats at a Glance
Total scholarship money awarded since 2012
Total Scholarships Winners
Winners selected last year
Average applications per community
Scholarship money awarded per community
Total applications received in 2022-2023
Apply NowApplications Due: Feb 15, 2024